CGI Control GagingCGI Control Gaging has developed a robot gage to automatically measure part size during the loading and unloading of parts. The measurements are used to find in errors that might occur during production.
- The concept integrates precision gages into part transport automation.
- The quick-setup gages are mounted to robot and gantry end-effectors to automatically measure part size during the part load/unload cycle, CGI reports.
- This gaging technique can be applied to turning, grinding and other metal cutting processes where automation is used to speed production.
- Rather than using the robot, gantry or pick-and-place machinery to simply move the part from place to place, precise part measurement is now available while the part is in the grip of the automation.
- Based on the lean manufacturing principle of "value-added flow," the system requires no additional floor space, reduces cycle time and can eliminate the need for hand-loaded or robot-loaded bench gages, said CGI.
- System accuracy and repeatability depends on part type, surface finish and gripper design
To read the original article please click: